Friday 19 October 2018

Back to base

A couple of posts ago i mentioned that the mass battle rules i have been using for my campaign are not particularly compatible with my current working hours and time to game was suffering because of it. I have decided to alter the rules to a multi based system to make gameplay (as well as set up) far quicker, aiming to get a game set up, played and put away in about 90 mins.

Just not doable anymore (*sniff*).

 The rule changes are coming along well but the re-basing has taken some thought. I have decided that a table top unit will be 3-4 bases of troops for a regular sized unit, 5-6 bases would be a large unit. So as the units wont be using too many bases i will be using roughly 6 or 7 infantry and 2 or 3 cavalry on a base, so an average sized unit of infantry will have 20-27(ish) minis in them. This should allow me to maintain the spectacle of a mass battle but speed up play.

   This got me to thinking, How to do the bases?. As you may have already grasped i'm not the 'painty' type. There, i said it, i'm not going to be painting the minis and have to this point used coloured bases to tell the sides apart. I wanted to use the bases in the new system in the same way and was going to go ahead as normal when a not altogether stupid thought struck me (i know, it shocked me too!).

 Towhit:

 Each shire and faction has its flag as shown on previous posts, the forces of the for shires are these ones 'ere:

Crivenshire


Fossestershire


Burkenshire


Offenhammeshire

So i got the ultra high tech super expensive basing equipment out:

Oooooh fancy!!

And came up with these little fellas:



I think they work o.k. Here's them in use:

Crivenshire pikemen

Burkenshire pikes

Offenhammeshire S.S.T.U.B.* Horse

Fossestershire Billmen

                                                                       Horse vs pike.
 I think in practice they will make it easy to tell who is on what side in the heat of an AAR. What do you guys think?.

Oh yeah, you can still grab a plastic based 20mm bargin over on my sales page so please feel free to have a browse.

....Till next time.....

(* State Sponsored Thuggish Uneducated Bounders)

7 comments:

  1. On an aesthetic point of view, I would say that your armies might lack banners flapping in the wind since your men are walking on them :) On a practical side, your system seems ok since we can still read the banner even with little guys over. So maybe the bases + flags ? More work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, flags are a good idea, I may have to include some:).

      Delete
  2. Those bases look fantastic mate! I like the new Pike & Shot venture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta very much sir!. I think the pike and shotttteeee stuff will suit the subject nicely.

      Delete
  3. That's a wonderful idea. Cheers, Karl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr Zinnling, glad you like them.

      Delete
    2. I realize now how active you were last days! Sorry for watching so late, new bases aré definetely a very buf improvement!! Congrats!

      Delete