Monday 30 September 2019

The bi-hourly turning of the head

  Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But first......
Scuzzy!

 So, i have, or more accurately am supposed to have a campaign on the go in a new setting i am putting together, i have done a bit of background and this time I EVEN PAINTED 2 FORCES FOR F*CK SAKE!!. So with that in mind have a guess what my brain is doing to me, go on, its likely you have an active interest in gaming if you are reading this so you may well know the answer so go on, have a quick guess.

    If you answered 'why Sprinks, your mind is pondering how to get the best out of the project you are focused on, i imagine you have played a few games and has come up with more material to really bring it to life'.  You are wrong, hopelessly, hopelessly wrong. 
    If you answered 'NEW PROJECTS, LOTS OF NEW PROJECTS!!!!!!', you my friend are 100% bang on (sadly!).
My head has been turned by some very silly things, in fact my head has not been turned, its almost done the full 'Linda Blair'!


  Now i am aware this is not a new thing among us hobby types, many a blog contain stories of forgotten projects cast aside to make way for the latest new and shiny gubbins to come along. But the things attempting to lure me away with their frankly bloody odd siren song are not new or even very shiny. So to hopefully get them out of my brain i will splurge them on the page to hopefully exercise them for good!.

Odd project the 1st:

 I am a fantasy gaming type. You may have noticed this. However i like a 'low' level of fantasy. A bit of magic, maybe dueling tech levels but human centered and defo no bloody elves!. Im more Martin than Tolken if you will.........

But........

.......images like these have been nagging at me to do something in their spirit:





 Something a bit more balls out 80s metal style fantasy!, evolutionary impossible monsters, proper evil bastards up to proper evil stuff and furry pant wearing mentalists probably riding mechtigers or some such. And my brain has been telling me i have just about everything i need to do it in my 1/72 collection!. Thanks brain...thanks!.

Odd project the 2nd:

    Can you remember another prematurely aborted project i was doing last year?

This one.

 Well i have been thinking maybe 1/72 was the wrong scale to tackle it in if i am going to paint upwards of 6 factions for it. So, my brain is telling me maybe 6mm would work best. Which means that my brain is not considering 6mm for this, oh no, its going for this: scale! 

Picture taken from the irregular miniatures website.

  I think the project is begging for the sort of grand sweep of the smaller scale and the mass effect of a table full of these (plus large monsters, steam tanks and zombie hordes) would bring. A nationwide multiple sided civil war needs to be BIG and the best way to go that style of BIG is to 'zoom out' so the table gives a larger area, villages and towns on the same table, mighty rivers and rolling hills, sieges of whole cities.....er.....etc. The painting would be a challenge but thats o.k. and it could look really different compared to my normal bobbins!.

 Right thats my head emptied (my normal state!) so im going to get back to my current project completely distraction free........yeah right!.


.......'till next time....


10 comments:

  1. You're going 2mm? Oh mate...that means you aren't building castles as the terrain, you're building cities!

    I have some 2mm stuff - though pike and shot & napoleonic...and if you have the means of melting lead...we might need to talk ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sort of trying not to deviate from what I'm doing in 12mm but failing!. Feel free to drop me an email if you can help!!. ;)

      Delete
  2. More projects? Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i want to do some new stuff but i still have loads to do with the stuff i'm on at the moment....this was soooo much easier before i started painting!.

      Delete
  3. Nothing wrong with a bit of 2mm Mr Sprinks, and as for New Projects... bring them on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am becoming enthusiastically resigned to the prospect!.

      Delete
  4. Haystack!! I've not heard them since the nineties! Theres a blast from the past.......

    The fantasy one sounds interesting - def my view on the fantasy stuff too, needs to have a certain level of DOOM and muck in fantasy to interest me. No shiny armour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T hat sort of sums up fantasy for me, Mud, blood and differing shades of neutral. Glad you approve of the Haystack, 21 years old if you can believe it!.

      Delete
  5. Pretty normal state of affairs, isn't it what we all do?!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, i will probably throw myself into something new only to abandon it a few months in....as per blimmin normal!!.

      Delete