Wednesday 1 July 2020

6mm Undead army

  I have to start this post by saying i have been a proper lazy git of late. posts have slowed to a trickle and i have hit a wall as far as painting and gaming motivation goes. I needed to find a simple self contained project to jump start my mojo that i could complete in a couple of days....which i did!. But before all that:


Noisy Scottish types!!.

 As i was saying i was looking for a project that would be quick and easy to get painted and as luck would have it the Scholar and gent that is Mr Maudlin Jack Tar had sent me some lovely 6mm undead miniatures, these seemed like just the ticket to get the juices (and paint) flowing and to give me my third force for my
Project.  I decided to take some inspiration from my 6mm Bakshi inspired half orcs and use a very limited pallet of 'wrong' colours, in this case bone, grey, light blue and crimson, my thinking was to tie the two forces together so they can be used as a huge force together but be individual enough to face off if i fancy it. 


   The force is split in two, in the left of the picture is some skeleton based grave fresh undead and to the right is a force of ghostly etherial nasties.


Skeleton spearmen. The spine of the force (sorry!). Im not sure of the manufacturer but they are really nice figures.


Some armoured skellies, again really nice detailed figures that were a pleasure to paint.


The force commanders. A Vampire on the left and Necromancer type on the right.


Ghostly infantry. All the ghost types in the force (with one big exception) are from irregular miniatures. I was planning to paint them in the same way as the skellies but the sculpts were quite hard to make out. Normally with the Irregular 6mm minis a dry brush or ink wash is enough to reveal the detail of the sculpts, however with these they were still a mystery after both!. I decided that the best course of action would be to work with the issue and and use the softer details to make ghosts.


Ghostly horsemen. These should be fun to use (i reckon they should ignore terrain!). Again the soft detail lends itself to the theme.


The giant ghost (on his day off from every 80's thrash album cover) is a G.W. miniature that i think fits right in with the small guys.

 Having the force split in two means i can have the whole force on the table or use them against each other in smaller games. Also to fit in with the old school warhammer theme of the setting i can also use the ghosts as an Etherial hoast for some of the lawful forces i intend to build in the future. The option is also open to combine them with the orcs to form a huge evil army for BIG games.


Death on death action!!.

  So thats the army pretty much done. I could do with making a command stand or two for the ghosts and maybe a skeleton giant would be good for the force too but thats something to work towards. I'm just glad to have broken my painting duck (i may have ordered a laod of 10mm minis for a new project so clearing the decks before they turn up will help justify my purchase!)........




......'till next time......

7 comments:

  1. Woooo!!!! (that's a sort of ghostly way of saying wow)
    You've done a fine job here mate. Love the big fella - giant's ghost I guess.
    Superb army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much mate, it was your good self that made it possible so thank you for the excellent haul of minis.

      Delete
    2. Glad you have them! They never would have got out of their crypt if they'd stayed with me!!

      Delete
  2. 6mm bloody hell I can't see 28mm these days, good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. The massive magnifying lamp I have may have provided an edge!. That is the beauty of smaller scales, you paint as slap dash as you want (as I have demonstrated above!) It's the mass effect of loads of the blighters packed together that matters.

      Delete
  3. Nice work but you forget to paint the glowing eyes. I'm beginning to wonder if I coul cope with 6mm... Small enough to not worry about detail and I like the mass battle effect . Ummmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh god I forgot the eyes. I did them on the orcs but missed them this time. I will have to go back and do them, they do finish undead off well. 6mm are pretty easy to paint. You actually cut down on detail as anything too small just looks too busy at arms length if you try to paint every thing you would paint on a 28mm mini.

    ReplyDelete